St. Mary’s Vision is to be the safest and most effective hospital in Canada, characterized by innovation, compassion and respect.
Over the past year, leaders from more than 50 healthcare organizations - from across Canada, the United States and as far reaching as Australia - have arrived at St. Mary’s General Hospital seeking to understand how our staff and leadership are transforming the delivery of care through the adoption of Lean management.
Lean is a way of thinking; an approach to management that focuses on continuous improvement from all employees, to solve problems and remove waste from the customer’s perspective.
St. Mary’s customer is our patients.
Lean at St. Mary’s is about creating the best experience of care for you while minimizing resources, time, energy and effort required to deliver it. In doing so, St. Mary’s has developed a culture of problem solvers, focused on ensuring that:
- We are providing the best possible care to our patients.
- We are being proactive
- We are focusing on our priorities
- We are measuring our progress
- We are making improvements
- We are accountable to achieving our goals
- We understand our expectations
- We all have the ability to make change
- We are sustaining our successful changes
This is achieved by:
- Providing dedicated time for Proactive Planning & People Development
- Creating a daily forum to engage all staff in a conversation focused on continuous improvement
- Managing larger problem areas through Leadership Councils
- Implementing practices to ensure improvements are maintained.
In 2016-17, despite increases in patient visits, ER volumes and cardiac procedures, a total of 2,742 improvements were implemented, representing the dedication and passion for making St. Mary’s a better place for patients, staff, physicians and volunteers.
By embracing Lean thinking St. Mary’s has dramatically reduced:
- Hospital acquired infections
- Staff injury
- Average inpatient length of stay
- Patient remittance
- Cost per inpatient day
To learn more about how Lean is enabling St. Mary’s to reach this objective, watch this video